Clutter driving you nuts? Did you move in with someone only to find you have duplicates of everything from headboards to can openers? Here are 7 tips to help you make the most out of small spaces:
1. Weed out the extras. A yard sale will alleviate some clutter and a trip to the local Goodwill even more. A good rule of thumb: Anything you haven’t needed in a year can go.
2. Bookcases are for more than books! Your walls are your vertical friends for storage, and good book shelving can include plants, valuables, artwork and more.
3. Wall-mount entertainment systems. Television / cable / DVD cabinets are so pre-2000! Free up floor space by going with sleek bolt-in mounts. (Just make sure they’re anchored properly!)
4. Don’t pile it, hang it! This is especially true in kitchens where you can use pot racks, hanging baskets, and even wall-mounted shelving units.
5. Maximize cabinets and closets with organizers. Poor use of cabinet space can easily waste more than 30% of usable “hidden” space. There’s great hardware out there to tune up the interior of your cabinets and closets.
6. Go below. A raised bed is a great way to free up storage space equal to the square footage of your bed. Using baskets and drawers can ensure the below-the-bed storage remains tidy as well.
7. Paint light. Dark walls make small rooms feel smaller. For those rooms that feel a little too close for comfort, dial up the brightness with a fresh coat of a light colored paint.
Remember: Organization and smart storage can turn a tiny home into a cozy abode.
Of course, if you’re ready to upgrade your home rather than squeeze the last few inches out of your existing space, get in touch with us for a loan pre-approval! We’d be happy to help you get prepared to search for a new home.